Ion exchange is a very versatile solution to overcoming several purification challenges within the food, fermentation and bio-based chemical industries. Adsorption is a key process for the extraction of impurities and is an important driver to reach good and stable organoleptic properties.
Recognized as a world leader in the field, Novasep offers unique expertise in designing ion exchange and adsorption systems, and in selecting the right resin to reach the best performance.
These technologies are typically used for applications such as:
- Demineralization and softening
- Salt conversion
- Hydrolysis and enzymatic conversion
- Recovery of antibiotics, plant extracts or proteins
In addition to best-in-class batch ion exchange and adsorption systems, Novasep has developed original processes bringing more benefits to the food, fermentation and bio-based industries.
Applexion® continuous ion exchange systems
Applexion® continuous ion exchange process offers the industry a truly continuous ion exchange system. Depending on the process, the number of cells can be adapted to optimize resin utilization and minimize system size while balancing overall capital investment and operating costs.
The main advantages of the Applexion® continuous ion exchange system are:
- A continuous flow of feed, water and effluents, easier to control and monitor
- Savings on the equipment due to its reduced size and footprint
- Savings on the resin required
- Savings on regenerating solutions and water consumption
- A better flexibility thanks to online maintenance
- Fewer mechanical constraints compared to systems based on rotating columns
This technology can be combined with our outstanding expertise in selecting the most appropriate and best performing resin types available on the market, to determine the most cost-effective solutions.
Applexion® NRS: new regeneration system for improving juice softening in sugar factories
The Applexion® NRS process is an innovative solution based on a cation exchange system designed specifically for sugar factories for more cost-efficient softening. The NRS can be integrated into traditional softening processes, after the carbonation steps, and provide the user with significantly improved softening performance:
- The juice is softer, reducing the need for anti-scaling agents
- Evaporators require less cleaning and are significantly more efficient
- The final sugar quality is improved thanks to reduced turbidity
- No dilution of the juice and no additional acid/water are required
- Zero effluent and waste generated thanks to a smart recycling design
With more than 100 systems commercialized, the NRS is the most widely used deliming process across the globe.
Our expertise in designing ion exchange and adsorption processes, combined with laboratory and pilot plant evaluation, allows us to provide best-in-class resins specifically adapted to your application.
You can be provided with:
- Strong acid cationic resins
- Weak acid cationic resins
- Strong base anionic resins
- Weak base anionic resins
- Polymeric adsorption media and activated carbon
Each Applexion® XA resin is selected according to a strict benchmark and extensive analysis of its behavior under industrial conditions. We also make sure that each Applexion® XA resin has an extended lifetime, compatible with intensive industrial activities. Learn more about our resins.
Novasep’s customer service can provide you with additional support for resin troubleshooting and associated process improvement.